Back to school


The kids went back to school today.

I awoke before 3am to find my daughter, a new freshman, crying. Finding it difficult to sleep with a head full of questions, fears and bubbling excitement, I had to remind her that all freshmen felt this way, tucked her in, and said good night again. At 5:30am she bounced out of bed bright eyed and ready to go. At the bus stop she realized she had neither her schedule nor the school map. I reminded her that I had pasted a one in her organizer and we went over her schedule and map short cuts. For two days prior she had poured over the schedule and the map, facebooked her friends and emailed others. As expected, she knew exactly where to go and when.

My son, on the other hand, thought nothing of returning to school and scowled as he got on the bus. What's new?