New Echota was the capital of the Cherokee Indians from 1825 to their forced removal, the Trail of Tears.
It was the site of the first Indian language newspaper, a court case that ended up in the Supreme Court, one of the earliest experiments in national self-government for an Indian tribe, and the assembly point for Indians forced west on the Trail of Tears.
The visitors' center hosts an exhibit and a short film about the New Echota township.
The farmstead reflects life in the 1820s.
A typical home of the period. It is a one room cabin.
The legislative building has two floors. One for the upper house and one for the lower house.
The print shop where the first Indian language newspaper was printed. Sequoyah created the Cherokee alphabet (a syllabary, in fact) in 1821.
Vann's Tavern was for trade, supplies and provided room and board for travelers.
The biggest house belonged to the missionary, a Moravian, who also provided an education for the Cherokee children. As the white man in residence, he was also the postmaster.